Reflecting on the centenary of Federation in 2001, the late Australian historian, John Hirst, imagined Australia in 2051:
The marrying and partnering of people of all sorts across boundaries is the great unifying force in Australia… it will produce before too long a new people who will have darker skins, much better suited to this place and our sun.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk