Do you know what is one of the most revealing films that won’t be shown in Australian cinemas this year? It’s the movie Unplanned, even though it’s currently trending in the top five movies in the United States. Unplanned is the story of Abby Johnson, one of the youngest Planned Parenthood clinic directors in America who changed her view on abortion after working in the organisation.
Apparently, it’s such a threat that the folks over at Twitter HQ even took the politically activist step of firstly suspending their official account and then—when that didn’t work—preventing people from following their page. What’s more, the Motion Picture Association of America gave it an R rating, which means that a fifteen-year-old child can have an abortion but is not allowed to view a movie portraying it. How’s that for cognitive dissonance?
Just note the following summary by the group Live Action, who have repeatedly exposed the falsehoods perpetuated by Planned Parenthood, which receives half-a-billion dollars in US government funding every year. What’s more, according to The Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian government gives it approximately $9.5 million.
- Planned Parenthood conducted 320,000 abortions annually which equates to one child being killed every ninety-seven seconds. Just stop and think about that for a second. Before you can even skim the rest of this article another child will have lost their life due to Planned Parenthood.
- Planned Parenthood tries to pass itself off as providing “health services” to women but that’s actually not true. In short, terminating pregnancies is their main business. For instance, they provide two per cent of America’s breast exams, per cent of America’s pap tests, and virtually none of America’s mammograms.
- They offer very few prenatal care services in comparison to abortions. It has been estimated that for every 160 abortions which they perform only one referral for adoption.
- Employees of Planned Parenthood have been caught out covering up child sexual abuse. A report of what Planned Parenthood has done in this regard can be viewed here.
- Planned Parenthood has also been exposed for aborting children simply on the basis of gender or race. For example, according to com:
In the United States, black children are aborted at more than three times the rate of white children; Hispanic children are aborted at one and a half times the rate. Whatever the intentions of Planned Parenthood, abortion is eliminating an incommensurate number of minority children.
- There have been many well-documented instances of Planned Parenthood being involved in Medicaid and taxpayer fraud. For instance, The Wall Street Journal reported back in 2013 that:
Planned Parenthood agreed to pay $4.3 million to settle a federal civil suit claiming that it fraudulently billed Medicaid for women’s health services provided by some of its Texas clinics from 2003 to 2009.
- There are many other good health care alternatives to Planned Parenthood. For instance, according to Save the Storks:
There are thousands of federally qualified health centers which provide far superior health care to Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood has lost more than half a million patients (600,000) since 2011. Yet, taxpayer-funded health centers, as identified by the federal Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), increased patients by over two million by 2015, providing care to 24,295,946.
- Planned Parenthood is completely opposed to any law restricting abortion, even laws relating to abortion after birth. According to The Daily Caller:
Planned Parenthood, a taxpayer-funded reproductive healthcare group, reportedly spent nearly $6.5 million electing Democrats and targeting Republicans for defeat in the 2018 midterm elections.
According to data released by Open Secrets through an examination of Federation Election Commission records, the Planned Parenthood Action Fund together with Planned Parenthood Votes have become integral to Democratic electoral plans.
- The organisation was discovered to be involved in the harvesting of body parts from aborted babies. For example, according to The Centre for Medical Progress:
Two of Planned Parenthood’s business partners, DaVinci Biosciences and DV Biologics, have admitted guilt in a $7.8 million settlement with the Orange County District Attorney for selling aborted baby body parts from Planned Parenthood of Orange & San Bernardino Counties for profit in violation of federal and California law.
- Planned Parenthood has been regularly prosecuted for widespread health care and safety violations in many of its clinics. Indeed, there have been cases of women even dying after receiving inadequate medical care.
While rates of abortion have been decreasing dramatically in the United States for some time, this movie may well be a game-changer as the public support of abortion in general and Planned Parenthood in particular.
It seems incredible to contemplate but more and more people are predicting that abortion will be considered unthinkable in fifty years’ time. I disagree. With the success of films such as Unplanned, I think it will all be over in even less.
Mark Powell is the Associate Pastor of Cornerstone Presbyterian Church, Strathfield.
Got something to add? Join the discussion and comment below.