As a Gen Xer, I’m old enough to remember the Cold War and US-Russian tensions in the ‘arms race’.
I recall political cartoons depicting the growing nuclear stockpiles on each side in an alarming game of ‘one-upmanship’. It was an anxiety-ridden time as an adolescent. Thankfully, they didn’t blow the world up.
It seems we have another emerging ‘arms race’ with reports of the ‘not so secret’ UK military lab, Porton Down, focusing on the mission to produce a vaccine against ‘Disease X’.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk