The watering holes of SW1 were full last night, with MPs dissecting the day’s King’s Speech. But as attention turns to the Autumn Statement and the next big parliamentary set-piece occasion, a collection of Conservatives were mulling their next moves. For a 20-strong tax cutting group of Tories got together in Smith Square – onetime home of Conservative Central Office, where the great quartet of Thatcherite election victories were celebrated throughout the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk