The term ‘NIMBY’ – an acronym for ‘Not In My Back Yard’ – has become the preferred slur of politicians, both left and right, who wish to caricature those opposing the rampant over-development of their communities as selfish, immoral, and elitist. This is a slander that must come to an end.
Firstly, let us dispense with the notion that there is something inherently wrong with wanting to preserve the character of one’s community.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk