Black to play. Bertholdt-J. Penrose, Olympiad Final, Munich 1958. White has just played Bh3-c8, so that the Rc8 is imprisoned in case of the obvious capture on c3. Penrose found a much stronger response. What was it? Email answers to email@example.com by Monday 30 October. There is a prize of £20 for the first correct answer out of a hat.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk
Unlock more articles
You might disagree with half of it, but you’ll enjoy reading all of it. Try your first month for free, then just $2 a week for the remainder of your first year.