To paraphrase the lyrics of Billy Joel: modesty, is such a lonely word; everyone is so untrue.
Recently releasing the draft legislation to double the tax rate on higher-balance superannuation accounts, Treasurer Jim Chalmers described the change as a ‘modest adjustment… (that) will affect only a handful of people’. This is far from the case and unfortunately, this change will have significant implications and is far from ‘modest’.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk
Unlock more articles
You might disagree with half of it, but you’ll enjoy reading all of it. Try your first month for free, then just $2 a week for the remainder of your first year.