It is a sad irony that the Irish singer Sinéad O’Connor died just after the movie Barbie was released, because the feminist philosophy of ‘patriarchy’, which underpins the movie’s plot, is a cause of her tragic death at the relatively young age of 56. To understand the feminist idea of ‘patriarchy’, think of what ordinary people believe is common sense, and then reverse the logic.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk
Unlock more articles
You might disagree with half of it, but you’ll enjoy reading all of it. Try your first month for free, then just $2 a week for the remainder of your first year.