Here’s a brand new Australian political expression I’ve just coined: ‘cane toad politics’. I expect it to take its place among other distinctively Australian political terms such as ‘barbecue stopper’ and ‘pub test’. And when it does – remember you read it here first. ‘Cane toad politics’ refers to those policies and political actions that are designed by intelligent and benevolent people – but which (much to their surprise) create a monster.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk
Unlock more articles
Contact Kel at ozwords.com.au.
You might disagree with half of it, but you’ll enjoy reading all of it. Try your first month for free, then just $2 a week for the remainder of your first year.