The Albanese government has established a ‘Makarrata Commission’ with a budget of $5.8 million dollars. So, what is this word ‘makarrata’? Every time you hear it think ‘treaty’ because that’s exactly what it means in Australian English. ‘Makarrata’ is a Yolngu word from Arnhem Land. It was chosen as the appropriate indigenous word for ‘treaty’ by Dr.
- The magazine delivered to your door weekly
- Unlimited access to spectator.com.au and app
- The weekly edition on the Spectator Australia app
- Spectator podcasts and newsletters
- Full access to spectator.co.uk
Unlock more articles
Contact Kel at ozwords.com.au
You might disagree with half of it, but you’ll enjoy reading all of it. Try your first month for free, then just $2 a week for the remainder of your first year.